Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sharing is caring...

We've all had that momentary(or permanent) selfish feeling flares up inside when someone asks for something: "Can I have a piece?" "Ummm no? Can you walk yourself down to Food Lion and make your own?" Nevertheless, I've always possessed a natural conviction to share my earnings with others, spreading the wealth if you will. Sometimes my kindness is returned and other times I gets no love. The point I'm trying to make is that I perform acts of kindness because I enjoy bringing other people happiness. Gone are the days when hospitality was common no matter what country you're in. Nowadays, it's imperative that you  give and give and give only to receive one fourth of what you've given. I've noticed that in the Latin American culture, more specifically Buenos Aires, the people are more hospitable toward not only their family but their guests. In my residence hall, the landlord checks on my roommate and I several times throughout the week to make sure we have everything we need to feel comfortable, for example, allotting two laundry tickets a month to have our clothes washed, ironed and folded for us. Just recently, I met a Colombian girl who immediately befriended myself and my roommate so much so that, having only known us for a week, has cooked for us on two separate ocassions.  On another ocassion, I found myself lost in the streets of  Buenos Aires and a delivery boy deviated from his destination just to make sure I got to my destination safe and sound. Here in Argentina, people do for others out of the kindness of their heart, not for gain. So yes, I can walk up to any person on the street and ask for directions and, although I receive the most dumbfounded looks because of the color of my skin, I can trust(so far) that portenos are kind enough to point me in the direction that I need to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment