I used to think the grass was greener on the other side and sometimes it is. But sometimes there are crispy, crackling patches where grass used to be. So far, my time in Argentina has taught me to be EXTREMELY grateful for the privileges that I am afforded in the United States. In one of my previous entries, I touched on the exchange rates. As I stated earlier, the "official" exchange rate is 4.5 to 1, or 4.5 pesos for every 1 dollar. As you can imagine, the American dollar is in high demand because its value is far greater than that of a peso. Strangely enough,
Portenos, or inhabitants of Buenos Aires, are forbidden by the government from having or trading dollars because it messes up the equilibrium of the monetary system in Buenos Aires. The government has to be able to manage the amount of dollar bills coming in and out of the system. If there are more dollars in circulation, the value of the pesos drops even further. "To have a dollar in your wallet is good luck", said one of my residence mates. I quickly realized that having dollars in one's possession is a delicacy when he asked me if I could trade his pesos to dollars. He wanted to begin saving in dollars because over time, dollars retain their value.
I can honestly agree with Lee Greenwood when he said he was "proud to be an American".
My WHAT THE FRENCHTOAST Moment
Everyone smokes on "cancer sticks"...and I mean EVERYONE! In the streets, in the stores, by the gas pump, in the hospital(well I'm actually not sure about this one...but it flows with what I'm trying to say), in the clubs, etc. It's impossible to get away from it!
No comments:
Post a Comment