Ever tried to pronounce a "ghetto" name? Take this name for example: "La-a". Can you guess it's pronunciation? Yeah I thought not. Well, I couldn't figure it out either at first...until one day my cousin Pierre informed me that you pronounce it "La-DASH-uh"-_-. Word pronunciation in Spanish is like trying to pronounce this name, leaving you confused and bewildered on how you got THAT pronunciation from THAT spelling! Alas, pronunciation has turned out to be the least of my problems, as I've recently realized that I never know how and for what situation I use a particular word. There are so many Spanish words that have similar definitions but are used in completely different ways. For example, If I wanted to say "For my trip, I need to bring a jacket" I would translate this as "Para mi viaje, necesito
llevar un abrigo". The mind boggling part of this sentence is that the verb "llevar" means "to take" and the verb "traer" means "to bring". It's incorrect to use the verb "traer" for this particular sentence. Why? I have no idea, that's just what my teacher told me.
My "WHAT THE FRENCHTOAST" Moment
1. In my previous entry, I only mentioned four modes of transportation: the train, the subway, the taxi and the bus. There is, however, another mode of transportation: personal vehicles. It is my sound advice that when visiting any city, but Buenos Aires most especially, DON'T DRIVE! Everyone here drives like a bat out of hell! There's no regard for pedestrians and no regard for driving in one's lane, although all the lanes are CLEARLY marked. I've lost count of how many times I could've met my Maker because some non-driver wanted to make a hasty turn WHILE I HAD THE RIGHT-OF-WAY! They can keep playing if they want to because I know one thing: if I get hit by a car or bus while walking across the street, somebody is paying for ALL OF MY GOOD TUITION to North Carolina Central University! Try me-_-
I love your "What The FrenchToast" Moment lol So Spanish grammar is just as painful as French grammar good to know. Be safe even thought getting paid sounds good.
ReplyDeleteHaha! Thanks Lise!!!
ReplyDelete